Call 020 7494 0118

Work Permit UK

The old UK Work Permit system has been replaced by the Tier 2 visa system. This type of work permit is for employees who are coming to the UK to fill a vacant position that cannot be filled by a British citizen and who have confirmed sponsorship from a licensed UK employer.

How to get a Work permit UK?

Before you can apply for a work permit UK you must satisfy the following work permit requirements:

  • Have received a confirmed offer of employment from a licensed UK employer who will act as your sponsor; and
  • Pass the points-based assessment.

There are 4 categories of Tier 2 work permits:

  • Skilled Worker – the Tier 2 skilled worker category is for people with a specific skilled job offer in the UK who are needed to fill a temporary gap in the labour force.
  • Intra-Company Transfer – the intra-company transfer category is for people who are being transferred to a UK branch of their organisation.
  • Sports People – the sports people category is for elite professional athletes and coaches.
  • Minister of Religion – the minister of religion category is for workers within a bona fide religion.

The work permit UK application process is led by the employer who is responsible for issuing you (the applicant) with a Certificate of Sponsorship.

Tier 2 conditions

A successful applicant is given up to three years to live and work in the UK for that employer. This period can be extended later.  After being in the UK for five years, it is possible to apply for Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR), also known as permanent residency. Work permits are specific to the employers who obtained them, meaning that they are not transferable.

How can we help you?

At DavidsonMorris we have the experience to advise you on the most appropriate work permit UK for your circumstances and have the insight to make the process as smooth as possible.

We will make assessment of your personal circumstances.

We will provide you with full details of all documentation to prepare and submit a successful work permit application on your behalf.

As a team of immigration lawyers and former Home Office employees, we have an established reputation for effective and efficient management and processing of visa applications, and for providing expert work permit UK and visa-related advice. We also understand the stresses involved with moving across the world, and take great pride in playing a supportive role to ease the pressure.

Share this article on:

Share on facebook
Share on google
Share on twitter
Share on linkedin

Need advice?

Contact our experts:

020 7494 0118

or complete the form below

You might also like...