Right of Abode

Do you need a Certificate of Entitlement to prove your UK Right of Abode?

We can help with your application.

Right of Abode

If you don’t have a UK passport or identity card, you will need to complete a certificate of entitlement to prove you have a Right of Abode in the UK. A person who has a Right of Abode is exempted from immigration control.

Legal advice can help ensure your case is effectively represented to the UK authorities and to avoid any delays with your application. 

What is Right of Abode?

The Right of Abode allows you to live and work in the UK without any immigration restrictions, without any requirement for a visa or permission to come to the UK and without any limit on the time you can spend in the country.

Am I eligible for Right of Abode?

  • All British citizens automatically have right of abode in the UK.
  • Some Commonwealth citizens may also have Right of Abode.

What will I need to show?

You can use the following documents as evidence:

  • UK passport describing you as a British citizen or a British subject with the right of abode; or
  • UK identity card describing you as a British citizen or a British subject with the right of abode; or
  • a certificate of entitlement issued by the UK government or on its behalf.

How we can help

At DavidsonMorris we have the insight to make the process as smooth as possible.

As a team of specialists and former Home Office employees, we have an established reputation for effective and efficient management and processing of visa applications, and for providing expert visa-related advice.


Need advice?

Contact our experts:

020 7494 0118

or complete the form below

By far the most friendly and approachable lawyers we have ever used

For specialist advice, speak to our experts.