Civil Partnership Visa UK

Strict eligibility criteria apply for the UK's Civil Partnership visa. We can guide you and your family through the process.

pre settled status


Bringing your loved ones to the UK is life-changing. While the civil partnership visa UK application process can be complex and daunting, we understand you want to start the next chapter in your family life quickly and with minimal disruption and expense.

What is a Civil Partnership Visa?

A civil partnership visa UK allows foreign nationals to come to the UK if they are in a civil partnership with a British citizen or a person with UK settled statusie someone who is living in the UK lawfully with no time limit on their stay.

To qualify for entry to the UK, you will need to be granted entry clearance prior to your arrival.

If you already hold a UK fiancé visawork visa, or student visa valid for more than six months, you may be eligible to switch to a civil partner visa.

You can apply for a civil partner visa from overseas or from within the UK. Once the civil partner visa has been granted, you are eligible to work or study in the UK. After a total period of three years in the UK if you meet the residence requirements you may then apply for UK citizenship.

Children of the partnership who are under 18 years old are allowed entry to the UK as dependants, and can make their application at the same time as the applicant civil partner.


Am I eligible for a Civil Partnership visa?

You are eligible to apply for a civil partner visa if you satisfy the following criteria:

  • You and your civil partner must be 18 years old or over.
  • You must be in a legal civil partnership and have met each other.
  • You must plan to live together permanently.


Need help with a Civil Partnership visa application?

At DavidsonMorris we have the experience to advise you on the most appropriate category of visa for your circumstances and have the insight to make the process as smooth as possible.

As a team of immigration lawyers and former Home Office employees, we have an established reputation for effective and efficient management and processing of visa applications, and for providing expert visa-related advice. We also understand the stresses involved with moving across the world, and take great pride in playing a supportive role to ease the pressure.


Contact DavidsonMorris
Get in touch with DavidsonMorris for general enquiries, feedback and requests for information.
Sign up to our award winning newsletters!
We're trusted