Fiancé Visa

The UK fiancé visa application can be complex and demanding.

We can help you through this process.

Fiancé Visa

Joining your loved ones in the UK is life-changing. While the fiancé visa application process can be complex and demanding, you want to start the next chapter in your family life quickly and with minimal disruption and expense.

What is a Fiancé Visa?

A fiancé visa allows a British citizen or a person with UK settled status to bring their fiancé(e) to join them in the UK with the intention of getting married within the six months period of the visa.

If your fiancé is returning to the UK to settle, you can apply for a UK fiancé visa to join them at the same time.

Who is eligible for a fiancé visa?

You may be eligible to apply for a fiancé visa if you satisfy the following criteria:

  • You and your fiancé must both be over 18 years old.
  • You must have met each other.
  • You must plan to live together permanently after your marriage.

What will I need to show to apply for a fiancé visa?

As part of your application you will need to demonstrate that you meet the visa requirements, which include:

  • You intend to marry your fiancé within the six-month duration of the visa.
  • There will be adequate accommodation for you and any dependants, and that you will be able to maintain yourselves and any dependents without the support of public funds.
  • Any of your or your fiancés previous relationships (married or unmarried) must have ended.
  • There will be adequate accommodation for you and any dependants, and that you will be able to maintain yourselves and any dependents without the support of UK public funds.
  • Your fiancé earns more than £18,600 per year or has enough savings to be able to support you without claiming public funds. If you have dependent children, the minimum financial requirement is higher.
  • You must satisfy the English language requirements.

What you need to know about fiancé visas

You are able to apply for leave to remain as a partner once the marriage has taken place. After you are married, you may apply for further leave to remain in the UK beyond the six-month period of the fiancé visa. After 60 months of lawful limited leave as a partner, you are then eligible for indefinite leave to remain. After 12 months with indefinite leave to remain, you are able to apply for naturalisation.

Only after a fiancé visa is changed to a marriage visa are you able to start work and hold the same rights as your spouse.

Children of the relationship who are under 18 years old are allowed entry to the UK as dependants, and can make their application at the same time as the applicant fiancé.


How we can help you

At DavidsonMorris we have the experience and insight to make the process as smooth as possible.

As a team of immigration lawyers and former Home Office employees, we have an established reputation for effective and efficient management and processing of visa applications, and for providing expert visa-related advice. We also understand the stresses involved with moving across the world, and take great pride in playing a supportive role to ease the pressure. Contact us for specialist advice on a fiancé visa application. 

Need advice?

Contact our experts:

020 7494 0118

or complete the form below

Related insights

By far the most friendly and approachable lawyers we have ever used

For specialist advice for employers, speak to our experts.