Tier 2 (Intra-company Transfer)

Are you looking to transfer to your employer's UK office for a temporary assignment?

We can help you apply for a Tier 2 (ICT) visa.

With the Tier 2 (Intra-Company Transfer) visa, you can work in a UK branch, office, subsidiary or sister company to fill a post in the UK temporarily.

Types of Intra-Company Visas

There are two types of Intra-company Transfer visa:

  • Long-term Staff This visa is for transfers of more than 12 months into a role that can’t be filled by a UK recruit. If the employee will be earning more than £73,900, the 12-month qualifying period will not apply. 
  • Graduate Trainee This visa is for transfers into graduate trainee programmes for specialist roles. Graduates need at least 3 months’ experience with the employer overseas to be eligible.

What are the eligibility requirements for you to apply for a Tier 2 (Intra-Company) visa?

The requirements for each type of visa varies, below is an outline of how you can determine if the option is suitable for you:


  • Must have been employed in a full time capacity by the overseas company for at least 12 months.
  • Salary on offer in the UK must be at least £41,500, unless the salary stated for the Code of Practice is higher, then you will need to pay the higher threshold. 
  • For assignments over 12 months.

Graduate Trainee

  • Must be a recent graduate with at least 3 months’ experience with the employer overseas.
  • Salary on offer in the UK must be at least £23,000, unless the salary stated for the Code of Practice is higher, then you will need to pay the higher threshold.
The UK-based organisation must have a valid sponsorship licence to sponsor a Tier 2 (ICT) visa 
Note also that Tier 2 ICT visas are exempt from the Resident Labour Market Test. 

What is the maximum time you can spend in the UK on the different types of Intra-Company transfer visas?

  • Long-term Staff earning more than £120,000 a year: 9 years
  • Long-term Staff earning less than £120,000 a year: 5 years, 1 month
  • Graduate Trainee: 12 months

Can I extend my visa from within the UK?

It is possible to extend your visa in the UK if you are on an Intra-Company Transfer, providing the maximum time allowed has not been spent in the UK.

For example, if come to the UK under the Intra-Company Transfer Short-Term arranged months for 6 months, you can extend for a further a 6 months from within the UK providing you are still required for the role.

Is switching from Tier 2 ICT to Tier 2 (General) visa permitted?

It is important that the business selects the correct type of visa for you as there are limitations to what Tier 2 (ICT) holders can do once in the UK. 

For a fast & professional service – contact DavidsonMorris

Our legal experts are highly experienced in all areas of immigration, including Tier 2 Intra-Company Transfer Visas.

As a team of immigration lawyers and former Home Office employees, we have an established reputation for effective and efficient management and processing of visa applications, and for providing expert visa-related advice. We also understand the stresses involved with moving across the world, and take great pride in playing a supportive role to ease the pressure.


Need advice?

Contact our experts:

020 7494 0118

or complete the form below

Related insights

By far the most friendly and approachable lawyers we have ever used

For specialist advice, speak to our experts.