Intra-Company Transfer Visa

The ICT visa is closing from 11 April 2022, to be replaced with the Global Business Mobility visa.

Contact us for advice on the new Global Business Mobility sponsor visa.

Please note that the ICT immigration route is closed from 11 April 2022.

For advice on its replacement, the Global Business Mobility visa, please contact us.

We can also advise on the implications of the changes on your existing ICT sponsor licences and visas.


With the Intra-Company Transfer (ICT) visa, you can work in a UK branch, office, subsidiary or sister company to fill a post in the UK on a temporary basis. 

Strict eligibility requirements apply, and your employer must meet certain sponsorship requirements to be able to hire you as an intra-company transferee. 

Types of Intra-Company Visas

There are two types of Intra-company Transfer visa:

  • Intra Company Transfer Visa To be eligible for the ICT visa, formerly the Tier 2 (Intra-company Transfer) Long-term Staff visa, you must have been working for the organisation outside the UK for at least 12 months, unless the salary you will be paid in the UK is £73,900 a year or more.
  • Intra Company Graduate Trainee Visa

    Replacing the Tier 2 (Intra-company Transfer) Graduate Trainee visa, this route is limited to individuals transferring to the UK as part of a graduate training programme. You must have been working for the organisation for at least 3 months before the date of your application, and the UK-based job must be a managerial or specialist role.

Intra Company Transfer visa eligibility requirements

To be eligible to apply for the ICT visa, you must already be employed by an overseas  organisation with a valid ICT sponsor licence, and have been assigned a Certificate of Sponsorship by your employer.

The role you will be taking on as a transferee must be on the Home Office’s list of eligible occupations, and you have to be paid at least the minimum salary threshold for your type of visa:

  • Intra-company Transfer visa minimum salary threshold: £41,500 or the ‘going rate’ for the job – whichever is higher.
  • Intra-company Graduate Trainee visa minimum salary threshold: £23,000 or 70% of the ‘going rate’ for the job – whichever is higher.

Minimum period of employment

ICT visa typeMinimum period of overseas employment
Intra-company Transfer (earning less than £73,900 a year)12 months
Intra-company Transfer (earning £73,900 a year or more)no minimum time
Intra-company Graduate Trainee3 months


Applying for the ICT visa

Apply for your ICT visa online. The specific process will depend on whether you are applying from within the UK by switching or extending your leave, or applying from outside the UK for entry clearance. 

At the time of your application, you will need to pay the visa application fee, the Immigration Health Surcharge

How long can you stay in the UK with an ICT visa?

Under current rules, you are permitted to stay in the UK for the shorter period of either five years, the time stated on your certificate of sponsorship plus 14 days or the time that takes you to the maximum total stay allowed.

The maximum period of stay as an ICT visa holder is: 

  • Up to five years in any six-year period if the salary is less than £73,900 a year, or
  • Up to 9 years in any 10-year period if the salary is £73,900 a year or more.

For the ICT Graduate visa, you can remain in the UK for the shorter period of either the time on your CoS plus 14 days, or 12 months, or the length of time remaining up to the maximum total stay allowed, which is 5 years in any 6 year period. 

Can I extend my ICT visa?

It is possible to extend your visa from within the UK if you are on an Intra-Company Transfer visa, providing the maximum time allowed has not been spent in the UK and that the following also all apply: 

  • You are still employed by the same organisation that assigned your previous CoS.
  • You are still in the same job as when you made the original ICT visa application.
  • The same SOC occupation code still applies to the job. 

You cannot extend an Intra-company Graduate Trainee visa from inside the UK.

For example, if come to the UK under the Intra-Company Transfer visa for six months, you can extend for a further a 6 months from within the UK providing you are still required for the role and you have not exceeded the relevant maximum period of stay. 

You are not allowed to extend an ICT Graduate visa from within the UK, but you can make an extension application from outside the UK.

Is switching from the ICT visa to Skilled Worker visa permitted?

ICT visa holders are now permitted to apply to switch to the Skilled Worker visa route. Applicants will need to show that they meet the visa requirements of the Skilled Worker route, including proof of the sponsored role, skill and salary level, meeting the financial maintenance and English language requirements and not failing on general grounds for refusal. 

For a fast & professional service – contact DavidsonMorris

Our legal experts are highly experienced in all areas of immigration, including Intra-Company Transfer Visas.

As a team of immigration lawyers and former Home Office employees, we have an established reputation for effective and efficient management and processing of visa applications, and for providing expert visa-related advice. We also understand the stresses involved with moving across the world, and take great pride in playing a supportive role to ease the pressure.

Need advice?

Contact our experts:

020 7494 0118

or complete the form below

Related insights

By far the most friendly and approachable lawyers we have ever used

For specialist advice, speak to our experts.