Call 020 7494 0118

EEA Permanent Residence

EEA permanent residence – apply to certify you have the right to live permanently in the UK.

If you are unsure about your immigration options as an EEA national in the UK, and whether to make an EEA Permanent Residence Application or to register under the EU settled status scheme, speak to our legal advisers.

If you are an EEA national and you have been exercising your Treaty Rights in the UK for more than 5 years, you may be eligible to apply for Permanent Residence.

Permanent Residence proves your right to live in the UK for the rest of your life, without restrictions attached to your leave in the UK, provided you are not out of the country for more than 2 years, at which point permanent residence is lost.

Applications for permanent residence cards can be complex and overwhelming for those that are not familiar with the process.

There are two ways to apply for EEA permanent residence; the paper form or online form.

A number of changes have been made to the online form since its introduction, but it remains a less flexible alternative to the paper form as all questions are mandatory. Once you have completed the online form, you must then submit a signed and printed copy to the Home Office, along with the required supporting documentation that you must collate.

However you choose to apply, it is important you follow the process requirements and provide all relevant, valid supporting documentation to avoid delays or refusals with your application.

Can anyone apply using the online application form? 

The Permanent Residence application form is available to most EEA citizens, including Swiss nationals.

The following however are exempt from using the online form, and must make their application using the paper form:

  • family members of a qualifying EEA national who are not applying at the same time as them
  • students or self-sufficient individuals who are financially responsible for any other family members or are reliant on a family member for financial support
  • applications made on the basis of retained rights
  • applications made under the Surinder Singh category

What do I need to know about the EEA Permanent Residence Application Form? 

Before you start your online application, you are advised to collate all required information relating to:

  • your activity in the UK, such as paid employment, study etc and
  • time spent outside the UK lasting 6 months or more

At the end of the application you will be advised which documents to send in support of your form.

You will need to print the form and submit originals of the supporting documentation.

Will I need to submit my passport as part of the application? 

Your passport will need to be checked as part of your application. Local authorities are able to check your passport on the spot, so you will not lose access to your passport while your application is being decided. To use this service, you should book an appointment in advance of completing your application form as the appointment must be within 5 working days of submitting your online form.

How much does the EEA Permanent Residence Application cost? 

An application for permanent residence currently costs £65 per individual applicant.

Can my dependants also apply?

As part of your EEA Permanent Residence application, you are able to include your spouse, civil partner, children and other relatives if they are currently in the UK with you and are dependent on you, or part of your household, even if they are a non-EEA national.

Are there any travel restrictions under Permanent Residence?

With Permanent Residence, you are free to exit and enter as you wish, provided you are not out of the country for more than 2 years, at which point permanent residence is lost.

EEA Permanent Residence applications – How we can help

DavidsonMorris is a leading UK immigration law firm specialising in EEA permanent residence, British citizenship and naturalisation applications.

Many websites on the internet offering immigration services are unregulated management companies or intermediaries that sell on your details to third parties.

DavidsonMorris is fully regulated by the Law Society of England and Wales and is a registered member of the Immigration Law Practitioners’ Association.

You can contact us if you are seeking legal help in relation to an EEA Permanent Residence Application. Our legal team will provide you with a professional, friendly, reliable service to avoid any issues or delays with your application.


Share this article on:

Table of Contents

Need advice?

Contact our experts:

020 7494 0118

You might also like...