Bringing your loved ones to the UK is life-changing. While the marriage visa UK application process can be complex and daunting, we understand you want to start the next chapter in your family life quickly and with minimal disruption and expense.
What is a Marriage Visa UK?
A marriage visa allows non-EEA nationals to enter or remain in the UK where they are married to a British citizen or a person with UK settled status, ie someone who is living in the UK lawfully with no time limit on their stay. To qualify for entry to the UK, you will need to be granted entry clearance prior to your arrival.
Am I eligible for a marriage visa?
You are eligible to apply for a marriage visa if you satisfy the following criteria:
- You and your spouse must be 18 years old or over.
- You must be legally married and have met each other.
- You must plan to live together permanently.
What will I need to show to apply for a marriage visa?
As part of your visa application you will need to demonstrate:
- Your spouse is either present and settled in the United Kingdom, or will arrive with you to be admitted for settlement.
- There will be adequate accommodation for you and any dependants, and that you will be able to maintain yourselves and any dependents without the support of UK public funds.
- Your spouse earns more than £18,600 per year or has enough savings to be able to support you without claiming public funds. If you have dependent children, the minimum financial requirement is higher.
- You must satisfy the English language requirements.
What you need to know about marriage visas
If you already hold a UK fiancé visa, work visa, or student visa valid for more than six months, you may be eligible to switch to a marriage visa.
If you are applying for a marriage visa from outside the UK, you are eligible for an initial visa period of 27 months. If you are already in the UK on a visa, you will be given extension of stay for two years.
You must complete two years as a spouse before being eligible to apply for leave to remain as a spouse.
You can apply for naturalisation after 12 months of indefinite leave to remain.
Children of the marriage who are under 18 years old are allowed entry to the UK as dependants, and can make their application at the same time as the applicant spouse.
How we can help
At DavidsonMorris we have the experience to advise you on the most appropriate category of visa for your circumstances and have the insight to make the process as smooth as possible.
As a team of immigration lawyers and former Home Office employees, we have an established reputation for effective and efficient management and processing of visa applications, and for providing expert visa-related advice. We also understand the stresses involved with moving across the world, and take great pride in playing a supportive role to ease the pressure.