The UKBA have announced minor changes to the Tier 1 Exceptional talent route came into effect on 1 October 2012. These changes are intended to clarify the rules of this route and make it easier for suitably qualified applicants to apply.
The changes include:
- An amendment to the definition of the purpose of the scheme, to explain that the “exceptional promise” aspect does not apply to the field of the arts.
- Small amendments to the criteria used by The Royal Society, The Royal Academy of Engineering and The British Academy to assess applicants, following discussions with these designated competent bodies.
- Widening the eligibility by allowing Tier 2 (General) migrants and sponsored researchers who are Tier 5 (Temporary worker) migrants to switch into the Exceptional Talent route while they are in the UK.
- Changes to the unique reference number (URN) system.
- Clarification of the evidence for extension applications.