Bringing your loved ones to the UK is life-changing. While the civil partnership visa UK application process can be complex and daunting, we understand you want to start the next chapter in your family life quickly and with minimal disruption and expense.
What is a civil partnership visa UK?
A civil partnership visa UK allows non-EEA nationals to enter or remain in the UK where they are in a civil partnership with a British citizen or a person with UK settled status, ie someone who is living in the UK lawfully with no time limit on their stay. To qualify for entry to the UK, you will need to be granted entry clearance prior to your arrival.
Am I eligible for a civil partnership visa UK?
You are eligible to apply for a civil partner visa if you satisfy the following criteria:
- You and your civil partner must be 18 years old or over.
- You must be in a legal civil partnership and have met each other.
- You must plan to live together permanently.
What will I need to show to apply for a civil partnership visa?
As part of your visa application you will need to demonstrate:
- Your civil partner is either present and settled in the United Kingdom, or will arrive with you to be admitted for settlement.
- There will be adequate accommodation for you and any dependants, and that you will be able to maintain yourselves and any dependents without the support of public funds.
- Your civil partner earns more than £18,600 per year or has enough savings to be able to support you without claiming UK public funds. If you have dependent children, the minimum financial requirement is higher.
- You must satisfy the English language requirements.
What you need to know about civil partnership visas
If you already hold a UK fiance visa, work visa, or student visa valid for more than six months, you may be eligible to switch to a civil partner visa.
You can apply for a civil partner visa from overseas or from within the UK. Once the civil partner visa has been granted, you are eligible to work or study in the UK. After a total period of three years in the UK if you meet the residence requirements you may then apply for UK citizenship.
Children of the partnership who are under 18 years old are allowed entry to the UK as dependants, and can make their application at the same time as the applicant civil partner.
How we can help you
At DavidsonMorris we have the experience to advise you on the most appropriate category of visa for your circumstances and have the insight to make the process as smooth as possible.
As a team of immigration lawyers and former Home Office employees, we have an established reputation for effective and efficient management and processing of visa applications, and for providing expert visa-related advice. We also understand the stresses involved with moving across the world, and take great pride in playing a supportive role to ease the pressure.
We can also assist with:
- Where your civil partner can take the English exam
- What documents you and your partner need to submit
- How to secure an extension
- How to secure indefinite leave to remain